Welcome to the life and times with Audrey Grace Robinson, extraordinaire, debonair. This blog will hopefully prove to be hilarious, informative, suspenseful and consequently not too sappy. I encourage you to follow me, comment and share whatever else. Please understand this is a family show and my intentions are to keep this a safe and responsible place of family-friendly reading enjoyment. I intend to write humorously without vulgarity. Banner photo credit: MelissaLaRuePhotography.com (Hire her, she rocks!)


Monday, November 1, 2010

Sick baby! :(

Have I mentioned how sick Audrey is? Since Saturday morning she has been miserable. And I have been miserable on zero sleep. I took her to the doctors on Saturday and they concluded it's just a virus because her ears looked fine. This child is so mucusy it's disgusting. Good thing I deal with human excrement daily or else Jackass 3D would have been a lot worse on me than it was. The only thing that remotely helps is the nasal aspirator which I've been called the nasal exasperater unknowingly which was pretty hilarious to the on-call nurse whom I called yet again yesterday. It surely does make Audrey feel exasperated; she pretty much screams bloody-murder while I'm doing it and I have to hold her hands with my left hand while the side of my elbow stabilizes her face to the side and my right hand can do the suctioning. This morning all the goop had turned green. I'm thinking I probably took her in to the doctors too early on and she's just now showing signs of infection because on Saturday it was clear. But guilty me, being a first time mom of course I freaked out a little and had to get her seen RIGHTNOW RIGHTNOW RIGHTNOW.

The nurse suggested to steam the shower, put a humidifier* in her room, saline drops with the nasal do-hicky and that's about it. A good friend suggested putting Vicks on her feet and putting socks on over top of it. I bought the Vick's specially formulated for babies so I ended up just rubbing her chest with it but I saw no improvement. She's a tummy-sleeper which, duh, makes it all worse. I have to rock her to sleep while she's sitting up and then lay her on the good ol' Boppy pillow in her crib to prop her up enough. She rolls off of it within 20 minutes every time, poor baby. Poor mommy.

I'm at a lose right now of things to try. I wish she could understand the wonders of the Netty Pot, or at least know how to blow her nose. I really hope she doesn't get me sick. I think this is was the first October that I didn't get a sinus infection in years (knocking on wood). Good thing too! I don't have insurance** anymore as of 2 months postpartum. So, we'll be cooped up inside for a while unless I end up stir crazy, which is bound to happen sooner than later.

Any suggestions??

* - It's actually a fog machine. Most families with kids probably have a humidifier just laying around the house at all times. Not us... we have a fog machine that works just as good AND makes her room look awesome.

** - Thank, state of Michigan, for sucking and taking my insurance away when there are clearly ridiculous amounts of people on Medicaid whom have had it all their pregnancy and thereafter. You really really suck.

Massive Halloween entry to come later.

5 comments:

  1. Sick babies are the worst :(. When chloe is like that I pretty much can only do what you are already doing, but add orange juice haha. I swear orange juice will make any cold go away No matter what. So where I would normally just give her water mixed with a tiny bit of juice Maybe three times a day, I give her full cups of orange juice like five times a day, plus a lot of water in between so I know she isn't getting dehydrated. So.. Tons of liquids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little girl! Devyn took her first spill yesterday and just about gave me a heart attack. She went face first into a chair and literally had a dent in her head for about 10 minutes. Needless to say I was a sobbing wreck (which probably didn't help the situation). Luckily all is well and the "dent" turned into a swollen little bump.

    Good ol' Medicaid. I hate hate hate dealing with the state about that crap. I cringe when I get any mail from the DHS office, like what is it this time?

    Well I hope your little one feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I feel for you on the nasal aspirator front. I wish there was a way to communicate to babies that if they stayed still, it would all be over really quick. Hope Audrey feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Audrey is showing signs of improvement although she's still not in the clear just yet. Now, if she would only take a nap!

    ReplyDelete